Only 2 more days until I start the P90X workout! Yesterday evening I completed the P90X fit test (that’s why I wasn’t able to post). If you’re about to start the P90X workout, then you should definitely make sure to do the fit test prior to starting P90X. The fit test ensures you are at a fitness level that is adequate to be able to get through the P90X program, and will show how much you’ve improved after completing P90X (you will take the fit test again at the completion of P90X).
Here are the P90X fit test pages from the P90X Fitness Guide as a PDF document (click here). You can print this out and use it to write down your P90X fit test results as well as your body measurements.
The P90X fit test consists of 8 different exercises. I’ll briefly explain each exercise and the minimum reps, and the I’ll give my results at the end of this post.
- Pull ups: Use your P90X pull up bar to do as many pull ups as you can. The P90X minimum is 3 if male, and 1 if female.
- Vertical Leap: You’re basically just jumping as high as you can. It is best done outside against a building or in a gym. You should have a vertical leap of at least 5 inches if male, 3 inches if female.
- Push ups: Just do as many push ups as you can. You should put down a pillow that is about 2 or 3 inches high, to make contact with your chest on each rep. The P90X minimum is 15 if male, and 3 if female.
- Toe Touch: You’re doing this while sitting on the floor with your legs extended in front of you (don’t bend your knees). You should be able to reach at least 6 inches from your toes, or a “-6” (a “-” is if you are not able to reach your toes).
- Wall Squat: Place your back flat against a wall and lower your body into a seated chair position (you’re at a 90 degree angle). You have to hold this for as long as you can. You should be able to hold the wall squat for at least 1 minute.
- Bicep Curls: Do as many bicep curls as you can. Men should use at least 20lb. dumbbells, and women should use at least 8lb. dumbbells. You should be able to do at least 10 curls with 20lb. dumbbells if male, and at least 10 curls with 8lb. dumbbells if female.
- In & Outs: Do as many of these as you can. You be be able to do at least 25.
- Heart Rate Maximizer: You are performing jumping jacks nonstop for 2 minutes at a quick and steady pace. During the final 30 seconds, you should go as fast as you can to maximize your heart rate. You are then measuring your heart over a span of 4 minutes at 1 minute intervals. You are considered to have passed this if you are able to finish the test standing and able to breath.
My P90X Fit Test Results
As a caveat to my fit test, I have been going to the gym for about 2-3 months on a weekly basis (Monday through Saturday). Everyone is at different fitness levels, so you may do much better then me, or you may not do as well (don’t let that discourage you!!!).
- Pull ups: Using my P90X pull up bar I did 13 pull ups.
- Vertical Leap: 21.75 inches
- Push ups: 34 push ups
- Toe Touch: -4 (I am not flexible at all!!)
- Wall Squat: 1 minute and 18 seconds
- Bicep Curls: 23 curls with 20lb. dumbbells
- In & Outs: 30
- Heart Rate Maximizer:184 immediately after jumping jacks, 148 after 1 minute of rest, 133 after 2 minutes of rest, 123 after 3 minutes of rest, and 115 after 4 minutes of rest. Also, my resting heart rate is 68.